“When the 6th Battalion Pre-Truce Old Fianna held their annual commemoration parade from Dun Laoghaire to Dean’s Grange Cemetery the Battalion was presented for the first time with a Battalion flag by Mr. Eamon Martin, former Chief of Staff of Fianna Eireann, who was accompanied by Mr. J. Reynolds, his Adjutant-General.
Present at the handing over ceremony that was watched by a big crowd at Dun Laoghaire wharf was Mr. Sean McGarry, one of the founders of the Fianna in 1909.
The Flag was received by Comdt. Nicholas Kelly, of the 6th Battalion.
Afterwards the parade, which comprised the Old Fianna, Old IRA men and Cumann na mBan, marched with bands to the cemetery where wreaths were laid on the 1916 plot, and a firing party drawn from the Fianna, and the Volunteers, under Comdt. Kelly paid military honours.
The 1916 Proclamation was read by Mr. J. Reynolds and a Decade of the Rosary recited by Mr. L Cosgrave, Parliamentary Secretary to the Taoiseach. Also present were: Dr. J. P. Brennan, T.D., and Mr. B. Brady, T.D. Mr. Sean McGarry was Chief Marshall at the parade.”
Irish Independent, March 26th 1951
Photograph Courtesy of Deirdre Kelly